Chocolate Orange Scone Recipe (Gluten Free, Vegan)
1 batch of flax egg (1 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 2 ½ Tbsp water)
3/4 cup dairy free mylk
6 tbsp of vegan butter or coconut oil
2 cups of bobs red mill all purpose 1:1 baking flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 cup organic cane sugar plus more for topping
1/2 tsp sea salt
Zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup of chocolate chips
1/4 cup of melted chocolate chips + 1/4 cup for melting
3 tbsp of olive oil
4 tbsp of fresh orange juice
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line your baking sheet with parchment or a silpat
2. Prepare your flax egg in a bowl and then add your almond mylk, set aside.
3. Melt your quarter of a cup of chocolate with the olive oil and set aside.
4. In a separate bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, orange zest and salt. Whisk to combine
5. To your bowl of mylk, add your orange juice and melted chocolate. Stir to combine.
6. Add cold butter to dry mixture and mix with hands or a pastry cutter until the ix looks like wet sand.
7. Add in your mylk mixture and with a wooden spoon mix until dough comes together.
8. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape dough into a circle
9. Cut dough into 8 triangles and place on baking tray then sprinkle with a bit more sugar
10. Bake for 22-25 minutes. Let cool a bit before eating.